counter

Monday, August 9, 2010

It has come to an end...

woven windbreak at Sam and Clive's
My last day in England, my last day in the Reading Room. But what a great day it was. I was greated with great cordiality by the CHL staff this Monday morning...I'd been gone a week. That made me feel wonderful! What a lovely bunch!

Then across the sheep grazing field to inquire at the JA Museum in Chawton about possibilities for future research there on their textile collection. This inquiry met with enthusiasm. I was thrilled about that. I was also delighted to notice additional textile pieces that I didn't see last visit there. Louise West, the Director, lent me her copy of Martha Lloyd's recipe book that I thoroughly enjoyed reading in the Reading Room. Such lovely volunteers who were keenly interested in what I have been researching....such a thrill for a researcher!

More of JA's embroidery (handkerchief made for Cassandra)
Then a quick lunch followed by the afternoon in the Reading Room. Most productive. Made email contact with a linen industry pre-Industrial Revolution researcher in Edmonton; she was most helpful....a U of Guelph grad same year as me! Instant connection!

Then time for some serious flower pounding. I have been collecting fallen petals and blossoms during my week of travels so I was curious to see if rehydrating then pounding worked. It seemed to although not the same as freshly picked. That is currently drying in preparation for my trip home tomorrow.


An iron weight about 10# in Austen's kitchen











Had a conversation with Steve, CHL CEO about the potential for textile and food education/research at Chawton House, and particularly the role of the estate in textile production historically. That was the second great conversation of the day!

A standard 1/2 gallon measure in Austen's bakehouse
...and then away to the pub for dinner with Elisabeth, a VF from Chicago and the third great conversation of the day.

This post finds me taking a break from packing. The taxi has been ordered for tomorrow morning and so this blog comes to an end.



Thanks to all who have followed along this remarkable experience, and thanks for all the emails and comments. Thanks especially to Chawton House Library for the privilege of a Visiting Fellowship. It has been interesting to check the stats counter to see how many viewers there have been and the many places readers are from. Thanks to JASNA members for sharing the link with their chapter members; I have felt honoured that so many people were interested enough to navigate through the postings.

Until next trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment