counter

Saturday, June 2, 2012

What a week!

Phew! I have been on the go all week.

Wednesday night Anna and Cindy treated me to a wonderful meal at Anna's house. So delicious. They wanted me to see a documentary on Mrs. Beeton so we watched that, and then Anna brought me back to Chawton. What an absolute gift to have met them. I took Anna a small token of appreciation, some organic eggs from CHL. The chickens have been uber productive here of late.

A fabulous trip to Bournemouth on Thursday to meet Dr. Kip Jones (Bournemouth U; Performative Social Sciences). Kip was exactly the person I needed to meet; his work is inspirational! And he was so encouraging. He did a private screening of his film, Rufus Stone, based on Kip's (and others') research. I hope we get to screen it at Acadia when it is finally released.

Back to Chawton on the train, my thoughts a-buzzin'. As a result, I finally figured out my website, after years of not knowing how to include all my varied interests. That Kip, what an inspiration.

Friday to Jane Austen House Museum for the treat of my life. Had a quick meeting with Louise (Director) and Sue (Steward who was going to help me with textiles in storage) about two documents I can/will create for them out of my time at the museum. Then, Sue took out three boxes; one containing lace wedding attire from 1813, one a wool and silk spencer from 1817, AND Jane Austen's lace shawl. Imagine. Took lots of pictures (will post when camera recharged).

I loved that Jane's shawl had a number of repairs...very cleverly done. Sue and I were in wonder at the needlework.

Today (Saturday) I took the train to Stonehenge. It is relatively close by and I thought, why not? When will I get here again. It was an overcast day; good. No chance of overheating. There were loads of people there (as always). Just beyond the parking lot was a path through a field to burial burrows so I went up there. A great view and far, far away from the crowd. Enroute I passed a table bearing a sign "psychic readings" although no one was about...truly psychic, I thought. But no, on the way back the reader had arrived. Imagine a cross between Friar Tuck and Crocodile Dundee...

There were local strawberries for sale off the back of a truck pulled up on the other side of the fence from the parking...a nice change from the packaged sandwiches inside the gates. Trains were not busy. A lovely day out.

When I returned this evening, the shepherd I spoke with yesterday had delivered my fleece. It just fit in the new bag I bought in Salisbury. Speaking of, what a great town is Salisbury. I'll definitely return there. Found some wonderful gifts for the family there!

And now an evening of packing. Early day tomorrow; travelling all day.



No comments:

Post a Comment