counter

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Dark and Stormy Night in Chawton

Feeling a little weary mid-afternoon today but not willing to give up one second of my precious time in the Reading Room I pushed through to 5 pm closing time, got to my room around 530, thought I'd have a little 'lay me down', and woke up at 9 pm. In my semi-conscious moments, I heard claps of thunder. When I went downstairs to rustle up some dinner, I opened the front door to the cottage to see the Head Horse(wo)man heading out in the gathering darkness to find the horses. I'm not sure it was as wild as it seemed or whether that was an effect brought about by much rustling of the ivy and roses growing about the house being tossed in the wind.

At any rate, had a little meal and arranged with housemates to go to the Chawton pub (The Greyfriars) for tomorrow's dinner. It should be fun! The Jane Austen Society AGM is at Chawton on Saturday so it is expected to be crazy busy here this weekend. And don't forget the Alton bus rally!

There is a little family of swallows nesting right over the front door to Chawton House so one must be careful to avoid droppings when going in and out. Photos of mum and babes attached. Mama looked none to pleased with us taking all of these shots.












I've also included the photo of the rear of our house taken from the back of the garden (that I was taking a turn about in, of course!). My bedroom window is just above on the slope of the roof although you can't really see it owing to the glare from the sun setting at the front of the house.  The building to the right is where the horse staff live.




Two more photos of the Great House kitchen, one showing dish ware storage, and the other an ancient sink hook up. The chopping block has been pushed toward the sink but that isn't where it normally lives. You can imagine a sink being afixed in this frame and can see where the water came in (hole in the back wall) and where the drain pipe was). The tree  block was from a 200 years old tree (so I am told).






Research today was fair(is)...I can't seem to find the info on household textiles I am looking for so I'll consult the librarian, Jacqui, tomorrow. I'm very pleased with where I have got in thinking about the theory behind the invalid's dietary as everything I look at now fits within my proposed theoretical framework (hurray!).

The wind has just whipped up! The walls in this house are about 3 feet thick at the based and about 1 foot up here in the attic. Were the window closed, I would hear nothing of what is going on outside.

Until tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathy,
    I continue to enjoy each and every word you write, especially about the kitchen (and the explanation about the copper was especially interesting; this must be the same copper mentioned by Mr Cratchit when he refers to the Christmas pudding "singing in the copper" in A Christmas Carol). Can't wait to read about the AGM and all the other experiences and learnings. As you suggested I am paying particular attention to the description of Mansfield Park as I read the book.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete