counter

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Hampshire County Registry Office

Like an old pro, I met the bus in Chawton to get to Winchester when the Records Office opened at 9 am. WHAT  a model of efficiency the Records Office is! In no time, I had my Reader Card, my belongings locked into a locker, the documents ordered, my computer set up...et voila! the documents were ready for pick up.

The screen announcing 'your documents are ready'




I looked at the John Ring Furnisher's Account Ledgers noting that the Austen's purchases were recorded in the big fancy book wherein gentlemen's family purchases were recorded. Purchases by all others were recorded in a much smaller, much less fancy account book. The class system once again; seems to have been reinforced in a myriad of ways including in account ledgers!

I got a complete kick out of seeing purchases recorded for His Royal Highness The Prince of Whales. Only one time was the 'h' in Whales crossed out. I was hoping to get a copy of it but copies weren't permitted, only scans, and a photo pass, where you can use your own camera was 10 Pounds per day. That was too steep for one photo.

The other documents I looked at were Mary Lloyd Austen's diaries - more her 'Daytimers' really. These were pre-printed little little books where one recorded appointments. Mary wrote such rivetting notes as 'Mr. E. Knight dined with us' or 'I took tea at Manydown'. I was interested in what she wrote the weeks leading up to and including Jane's death. Not much was written except "Jane Austen breathed her last early this morning, Only Cass and I were with her'.

I then partook of a lovely lunch overlooking the park fronting the Cathedral, then walked along the river, bought some groceries, then took the bus back to Chawton. The angst of taking the bus to/from Winchester that accompanied last week's unfamiliar trip has vanished!

Tomorrow back to the Reading Room! Only 3 more lovely days to go. I'll miss it here...and still have so much to get through!


Photos of other items from the JA Museum in Chawton.  
Needle case made by Jane Austen for her niece

Silk thread winders used by the Austen family

No comments:

Post a Comment