counter

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Monday, July 26 - Joyous Day!

Quilt by Jane Austen
Today’s plan was to finish up in the Reading Room then to head over to the Jane Austen Museum in Chawton to do some sleuthing about ‘the bodkin’. All went according to plan; I took the path through the pasture (the route believed to be close to what JA herself would have walked to get to her brother’s estate house) rather than along the road (which either didn't exist or took a different route in Jane's day..I have yet to get that sorted out).

Just for Sasha, a mourning hair brooch!
When I mentioned to the Museum guide my interest in household linens, ZOOM! She took off up the stairs with me in tow to show me the pieces that ‘for sure’ were made by Jane and a number of other pieces from the Austen family that cannot be connected to Jane. Imagine my thrilledness when “I”, little old me, was explaining to the JA Museum guide how things were made, what the fabrics were, etc. I have attached photos of textile pieces from the house to this post. I would love to go back to the Museum some day and do a more thorough analysis of all of the textiles they have on display.

Embroidery covered prayer book

I had a wonderful time there and will return to visit the gift shop and likely the museum as well.


A netted purse; was THE bodkin involved?
When I returned home, it was soon time for the Monday evening bell ringing practice. Sarah Parry, Education Officer at CHL is one of these bell ringers and had arranged for me to shoot their practice today. Much to my delight, one of them members (for they all knew I was coming) offered to take the camera up to the bells to shoot while the others ran through a tune! How wonderful! I cannot wait to see that footage.

Tomorrow to Winchester to the Hampshire Country Registry Office.
Neckkerchief; applique on net by Jane Austen

No comments:

Post a Comment