counter

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Categorizing - maybe not to simple?

A day spent in cookery books (starting 1642)...while I originally thought of the four humours (hot, cold, wet, dry) for categorization of conditions and recipes, it looks as though it is going to be more complicated. Today I read all sorts of descriptors that relate to conditions and properties of foods (e.g., opening/closing; sweet/salt; acid/alkali (meaning things that rot and things that don't); others that I don't recall). I am trusting that a month spent pondering all of this will make it more clear for right now, I am in a whirl.

I have to remind myself that familiar words had different meanings in the long 18th century; words such as nutrition, nourishing, inflammation, digestion, and easy/hard to digest. So reading about the purported effects of a dish on a health condition that uses these words needs to be translated into 18th century speak. Super sleuth away!

I also learned two words related to eating/digestion that I found entertaining - surfeit and crapulous.
Surfeit - to have overeaten and over consumed alcohol. Crapulous - suffering from excessive eating and drinking. This discovery came about as I was trying to understand the uses of a recipe for Surfeit Water. Now you know too...

This evening, making a meal from the purchases from the visit to the Market yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment