counter

Monday, May 7, 2012

Trying out the AGA


Falling in love with an AGA...
Today turned out to be one of those days doing something that I didn't anticipate...cooking up a storm on the AGA cooker.

Having had a disrupted sleep last night because of my cough, and because most stores are closed today for the Bank Holiday, I thought I'd check the Internet for a home remedy expectorant. Having found this (www.livestrong.com/article/119426-expectorant-home-remedy-mucus/) and knowing the two ingredients (honey and onion) were in the kitchen, I set to making this syrup.

That set me off on a five pot cooking extravaganza; the AGA was not turned on when I was here last time so trying it out was rather fun. The cooker is always on; it serves to provide a bit of heat in the kitchen area, and mimics the days of having a wood or coal cookstove in the kitchen. There is a 'hot' burner, at high heat to get things cooking quickly, and a lower heat burner where things can simmer or be kept warm.

The five pot were: 1) soup made from veg left behind by previous Visiting Fellows (a bit sad some of them); 2) a pot of rice; 3) rice pudding (made with this curious package of rice in the cupboard called 'Pudding Rice"; 4) chicken stock made from some chicken bit another Fellow was going to toss out - this was to go in the soup; and 5) the cough syrup. All of these pots can happily coexist on the AGA.

A word of explanation, I live with celiac disease so always have rice or rice-based dishes in the frig as they serve as a good starter for lots of meals (cold and hot dishes). I didn't plan on the cooking extravaganza until I grew enamoured with the cooker, and opened the cupboard and saw the shelves of basic ingredients left behind by previous Fellows. AND, I learned during my last visit, that if I wait to make lunch just before I eat it, that takes up valuable time in the Reading Room that is only open from 10-5. So...I am now ready with sensible soup and some rice pudding! Brilliant!

The cough syrup...very very good. Instructions say it takes a bit of time to work so I'll report tomorrow if it's had any effect. I don't know what is in store-bought cough syrup...sweetness and flavour, that's for sure. This one certainly has both. I'm hoping the onion (and the ginger chunk I tossed in) will work their magic.

Also made headway on some editing...didn't spend the entire day cooking.

Within minutes, we four Fellows (I guess technically I am not one of these this time here) are heading to the pub in the village for supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment