counter

Friday, May 11, 2012

Sticky notes on the wall

"Beef ...is to be avoided by sedentary persons, and those of weak nerves, or sickly habits,  but to such as work hard, or take much exercise, and have strong health, it is a grateful, a necessary, a strengthening, and a wholesome food..." (Family magazine, 1743).

I didn't anticipate class considerations in cookery books (beef won't hurt you if you are a labourer...mutton much preferred in 1700s, it was considered the 'most nourishing and balsamick', not surprising considering sheep probably outnumbered people then)...one of my many surprises here.

Blessings upon the inventor of stickies
I spent last evening making sticky notes with details gleaned about foods and arranging them on the wall trying to make sense of what I am reading. It is a challenge to put aside everything I have learned about the human body and how it functions in digestion, or about the nature of organ failure, to try to understand the mindset of those who wrote what I am reading from the 18th century. I have three weeks to sort out this puzzle. There are a number of contrasting terms used to describe both the bodily humours and the characteristics of foods (sharp/smooth; salty/sweet; thick/thin; acid/alkali; closed/open) in addition to the hot/cold and wet/dry dichotomies. The goal was to avoid the state of being that was the first word (e.g., sharp, salty, thick) and to aim for the second. How this all got transmitted and became 'common knowledge', that's what I am trying to figure out.

There is a booklet in each bedroom of the Stables explaining the housekeeping arrangements. One of the bits of advice was about requesting chicken eggs, if desired (CHL has a chicken rescue program). To my surprise, I got 4 duck eggs rather than chicken eggs. I had never eaten one before; I think I like them more than those from chickens!  When was in the laundry room, I looked out the window and there were the chickens and the duck all pecking and eating and making their way through the garden. Thanks to the duckie for these lover-ly eggs.
Gorgeous duck eggs!
 Tomorrow to 'the cave of wonders' in Petersfield!

No comments:

Post a Comment