counter

Sunday, May 6, 2012

'Home again' to Chawton

That which was on the counter...

That which was in the frig...
I pinch myself...have moved back into the room I had in 2010 here at the Stable Block at Chawton House. When I arrived, a lovely surprise. A gathering of  gluten free foods to get me started on my stay here. Thanks, Paul!
There are two Canadians staying here who I met for brief minutes (they were a little disconcerted hearing noises as I got up and about after my nap, not knowing I had arrived); apparently there are two others from England here (home for the long weekend), and an American. A house full! Looking forward to meeting them.


Mordor...as seen from my room

To back up...the conference in Detroit, one of the most amazing conferences I have attended! The photo (left) taken from my hotel window; not a black and white shot, by-the-by, one can see Canada to the right of the photo, across the water.


Abandoned lot turned community garden! Go food sovereignty!


The final day consisted of open mike poetry over breakfast, a presentation on the use of tribal embroidery in South Africa in public education efforts re: AIDS prevention, the Hippocrates Cafe (two actors; a host; a cellist performing in radio show format). Incredible! I want to borrow the idea. Then we went to lunch; an awards celebration, a blues performance (sing along, of course), and an R and B send off! With singing and get up from your seat and DANCE! as the send off for the conference. Amazing. Someone said, "There seems to be a thin membrane between artists [and folks interested in the arts in health], one that is easily broken"...that absolutely characterizes the experience of being at that conference! Astonishing range of contacts, and people interested in collaborating.


Apart from the Hippocrates Cafe...while there were so many incredible presentations, the one that had my jaw dropping was the OPositive Festival in Kingston NY....bartering the art of medicine for the  medicine of art. Incredible, inspiring... I want to go in October. If I were registered to practice in NY, I'd offer up nutrition counselling. Here's their website: http://opositivefestival.org/

What a high, leaving that event. Next April 2013...Jacksonville Florida...highly recommended.

Getting to England was uneventful apart from the not-so-surprising delays with United flights...every flight I have taken thus far on this trip was delayed hence to 'no surprise' to learn my flight segments needed rejigging.

Now jetlag has taken its toll and I am off to bed.....LOTS of baby sheep hereabouts. Plan to walk and enjoy them all tomorrow and get ready to 'hit the ground running' on Tuesday when the library opens.


No comments:

Post a Comment